Well, when I got Spencer to the hospital his temp was almost 106. Hella ohai even for a gog. So, the first order of business was getting that down. It came down to 103 and she did a physical exam over Spencer’s clear objections. The exam did not show any overt reason for his difficulty breathing. No pain or clear change in breathing by position change. She feels the lump in his mouth is unrelated to the breathing difficulty and is just a common type of benign tumor.
The problem is it appears that it is harder for him to inhale than to exhale – indicating an obstruction. They are running blood work out the wazoo today and doing full chest xrays and an abdominal ultrasound to see what they can see. If there is nothing to see and the all else indicates that he is safe to sedate then they will scope his nasal passages.
I could have waited for him to be done with the tests and taken him home and then brought him back again tomorrow — but with his tempo climbing so high in the car I elected to leave him. They said he was resting quietly in the crate. And Spencer will object to something, but when it is clear that it is going to happen anyway – he just goes with the flow. So, I think it will be easier for him to just stay rather than coming home and then having to adjust back to being handled by the vet staff.
He is at the full blown specialist vet hospital. Could not be in a better place other than home and well. I had to sign a level of resuscitation order — middle ground – chest compressions etc. but not extraordinary measures… *sigh*
Well — the chest xray shows his lungs are full of white spots. He either has a severe fungal infection or tumors — no good answers. They are starting him on anti-fungal drugs and anti-inflammatories. The problemis that if it is fungal, then when the fungus starts to die – the die off will cause it own terrible probelms. So – I may not get him back.
The doctor has experience with this type of fungal infection from research she did at U of I. She is sending off a urine sample to a research facility somewhere to get a definitive test result. If it is not the fungal infection – I think the end game is worse.